Thursday, September 15, 2011

Blog Post #4

Podcasting - What is it?

According to the EPN (The Education Podcast Network), podcasting is essentially radio programming that can be produced with a standard computer, microphone, free software, and a web site for posting your programming. To me, podcasting is radio over the internet, well basically, without the advertising/commercials. And from what I have read and listened to podcasts have been used to tell stories, express ideas about a specific topic, or inform an audience about a specific topic. So, I agree with the definition provided by the EPN.


pictures of different colored ipod nanosA picture of Bruce Fong's Radio broadcast












My question is why are podcasts so popular now? Is it because they are on the internet and before podcast there wasn't really any way to have your voice heard over the internet? Why are podcasts so popular? One might state that they are because they have global reach and radio was, before internet and satellite radio, local. Someone else might say that it gives everyone a voice and allows everyone to be heard throughout the world. Whatever it is, podcasts are popular and they seem to be getting more popular day after day.

I will now tell you about some of the podcasts I have listened to recently. A group of third graders have their own radio show called Eagle's Nest Radio and you can really tell these 3rd graders take pride and joy in their podcast. They are re-telling stories on books they have read and are basically making these books come to life. By adding sound effects in the background and getting into character mode, you can clearly hear that these students are having fun with their podcasts. So, is this what it takes for children to read and learn? Of course, when you are able to portray the characters in the book on stage or "on air" there is a sense of accomplishment when you get it right. So I would think that students are more willing to read for clarity and understanding so they can get it right.

Eagles' Nest 3rd Graders dressed up in Roman Attire

I also had the opportunity to visit Joe Dale's The Benefits of Podcasting in The Classroom vodcast and he explained some of the benefits of podcasting in the classroom. One of the most beneficial uses of a podcast (or vodcast) in the classroom, especially when the teacher is making a vodcast of the classroom, is that children that are ill are able to access the podcast or vodcast over the internet and not miss a lesson. Now this should, by no way, take the place of students coming to class and if not careful, this could happen. It should merely be used as a supplement to the classroom instruction. If parents are able to see the vodcast or listen to the podcast with their child when they return from school, they are able to understand what was learned in school and better assist their children with their learning and development. I believe that Joe Dale also had this vision when he was speaking of the benefits of podcasting in the classroom. A podcast can be a great tool when used the correct way.

I guess the biggest thing I have learned from the material that I have reviewed that will help me with my podcast is how beneficial a podcast will be to others on the internet. Because my podcast has the possibility to reach billions of people, I need to be aware of my audience and ensure that my podcasts are always good. A podcast, unlike radio, is a good tool for all to use at a very reasonable price.

2 comments:

  1. One more reason for their popularity: they are free!

    I am glad these assignments helped with the preparation of your podcast.

    Thorough. Thoughtful. Well done.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dr. Strange. I always strive to do my best on every assignment.

    ReplyDelete