Friday, September 9, 2011

C4T#1

Okonomiyaki

In this blog post I will invite you to meet Eric Langhorst in his visit to Japan. Eric is a 8th grade History teacher in Liberty, Missouri who recently took a trip to Japan in the 2011 Keizai Koho Center Fellowship Program. I reviewed his 5th and 6th post in the series in which he informed us about a traditional dish there (Okonomiyaki) and according to Wikipedia it basically means what you like and it is grilled. Eric shows and tells us how to prepare the dish and it looks delicious.

In my comment to him I basically tell him that it looks like an omelet to me with unconventional ingredients and that I would like to try it one day. I also asked him some questions about the dish to find out if it would be worth me trying one day. It wasn't much more to say on this post but it did look quite appetizing.
Picture of a Mouth watering omelette with all of the fixings
Picture of shrimp and cheese Okonomiyaki














Baseball game featuring Osaka Orix Buffaloes

In Eric's other post he talked about a baseball game he attended in Japan. He gave a lesson that I felt would be a good history lesson for his students one day. He told us how the game compared to the American game and how the fans and mascots behaved at the game. It was most interesting to find that the teams had some American players and the pitcher was good enough to start for Osaka. They had some very interesting traditions, like blowing up balloons and releasing them during the middle of the 6th and 7th innings. They prices for the games were also reasonable although Eric and his host family got 3 seats for a ridiculously good amount of 1000 yen (about $8 in American Dollars).

In my comment to Eric, I told him how excited I was for him that he was able to attend a baseball game in Japan. I explained how I thought that his posting would be a good history lesson for his students. I explained to him how he looked happy in his pictures and it appears that the people there were genuinely nice. I also asked him who won the game since he had to leave during the 8th inning and the game was very close.

All in all, his post was very informative but also very interesting to read; just as a history lesson should be. I think he will be able to take these experiences and use them in his classroom and give his students motivation for wanting to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment